Sunday, August 16, 2009

my abject apologies

...for my shameful neglect of you, Gentle Reader, over the past couple of days. The 90+ degree temperatures combined with the lack of air conditioning in the Platypus Habitat as well as cramps of death have made me rather less than inclined to do anything other than lie on my bed and caterwaul my misery to Mr. Platypus.

Oh, and read. Because I am seldom, if ever, in too much pain to read. I heart books.

Incidentally, if you're thinking of picking up Dragonsblood, which Todd McCaffrey's take on the Pern series? DON'T. It's terrible. Plot holes you could throw a freaking horde of Volkswagens through, horrible lack of characterization, and no originality. He basically took plot elements from Dragonflight and from Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern and stuck them in a blender. It reads like an epically bad fanfic. Consider yourself warned, Gentle Reader; I would not want you to suffer through such an awful book.

However, I can very strongly recommend that you run out and get a copy of The Demon-Haunted World, by Carl Sagan. His baloney-detection kit is brilliant! Plus, it's an amusing and most thought-provoking read.

Anyway, I'm going to drag my grouchy self off to bed. Vaya con taquitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment